10 ways to get help if you’re struggling with mental illness

I always post fun stuff. Nothing too serious but this week, I want to get serious. As a freshman in high school, I experienced a school shooting. I was in the room. Then, I was in an unhealthy relationship for a few years following. I came in to college never acknowledging that I was struggling with any mental illness. At all. I didn’t even understand people who would say that they were struggling with anxiety - I just couldn’t grasp the concept. Fast forward to my sophomore year of college. I was going to volunteer to walk dogs at my local humane society. I debated even leaving the house. The thought of going was unbearable and I cried for 10 whole minuted prior to forcing myself to go inside. I ended up realizing that constant worry, over planning, difficulty focusing, on edge feelings, etc were all ways that a generalized social anxiety disorder manifested itself into my life.

Anxiety and other mental illnesses show themselves differently in different people, and dealing with it alone can feel suffocated and isolated. Here are just a few ways to get help.

1. 1-800-662-HELP (4357)
“Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration’s National Helpline is a free, confidential, 24/7, 365-day-a-year treatment referral and information service (in English and Spanish) for individuals and families facing mental and/or substance use disorders.”

2. 1-800-273-8255
If you don’t know Logic’s song 1-800-273-8255, I absolutely recommend it (Shameless logic plug because he is my favvvvvv). The name of this song is actually the number for the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. This hotline is also available 24/7 for those in the United States and is completely FREE!

3. See your doctor!
Im not about to lie to you. I was SOOOOOOOO embarrassed at the thought of even admitting to anyone that I may have a problem, especially my doctor but after a full discussion, she was incredibly understanding and helpful. She put me on prescription medication and had me come back to see her periodically until we found a medication that worked well for me.

4. Look into getting an emotional support animal
One of the reasons I think college, especially living off campus with my own room, brought out the worst of my anxiety was because I was constantly alone. This allowed me to focus and over-think things. I have specific triggers. Some days are worse than others but since getting Nova, my emotional support animal, I am forced to care for her and put my energy into more productive things. Like I said, sometimes I do have bad days still, and having her there to lick my face when I start having a panic attack is extremely helpful.

5. Reach out to family and friends
Talking to others can be a huge help, especially with those who have your best intentions in mind. let them help. 

6. Participate in a Clinical Trial
"Doctors at the NIMH in Bethesda, Maryland are trying to learn more about the causes of, treatments for, and genetic factors in mental disorders" 


7. Local Support Groups
There are groups all around. Click above to find one near you! 

8. Mental Health Screening tools 
These tools can be super useful if you're not exactly sure what is wrong. They can be a good place to start if you don't know what kind of help to ask for.

9. Campus Health Centers or Disability Services
These resources at your college or university may offer resources or accommodations you didn't even know were available to you. I highly recommend taking advantage of these resources.

10. Active Minds Group
Sometimes you just want to talk to others who struggle with the same things you do. Active Minds club on your campus can help you connect with other students who deal with the same mental illness you are. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

10 affordable online clothing stores to shop at as a college student

Top Ten Small Company Athletic Apparel Brands